People often have lots of questions about the raw meat diet, especially when they are either just starting a pet off, or switching a pet to raw from dry food. Moe has compiled a number of questions and answers here, and written out his own answers. Contact us at any time with your own questions.
What does a raw meat diet consist of?
What pets can eat raw meat?
How do I integrate raw meat into my pet’s diet?
How much raw meat should I feed per meal?
Is it too early to start?
What if my pet starts vomiting?
- Yellow bile means your dog’s belly is totally empty and needs to be fed more. This was happening about once a week in the morning to my roommate. I tried to convince my people to send her back to the pound but they persisted. We finally realized that she needed a little extra food for dinner and everything would be okay. Reluctantly, I shared more meat, then began charging her.
- Clear foam means your pup may have had too much water too fast. Your pup also probably has an empty belly and needs a little more food.
- How to help? Unsweetened apple sauce or Slippery Elm Powder can help an upset belly. Probiotics and digestive enzymes are good as well. If you’re concerned, take your pup to your vet.
My pet is acting funny after eating their first raw meat meal!
Tell me about bone broth for dogs.
- Gastrointestinal ailments, esp. Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Decreased appetite with chronic kidney disease
- Arthritis and degenerative Joint Disease
- Chronic Skin allergies and ear infections
- As a medium to hide herbs and drugs in
What foods should my pet not eat?
- Chocolate contains theobromine, a cardiac stimulant that can cause dogs to become hyperactive, thirsty, and suffer an irregular or increased heart rate.
- Raisins and grapes can cause liver failure in dogs.
- Onions contain thiosulphate, which causes red blood cells to explode. Cooked or raw, it doesn’t matter. No onions.
- Cobs of corn are choking hazards.
- Macadamia nuts can cause tremor, weakness, and paralysis.
- Caffeine can cause hyperactivity, tremors, or seizures. That means no soda, coffee or non-herbal tea.
- Alcohol, tobacco and street drugs are great for people, but not for dogs.
- Yeast dough/bread dough continues to rise in your pet’s stomach and can make them uncomfortable.
What about parasites and bacteria?
Why does my vet not know about the raw meat diet?
- Healthier teeth and gums
- Healthier coat
- More conducive to the digestive systems of dogs and cats than dry food
- Helps reduce/eliminate allergy issues
- Fewer grains = greater health for primal animals